How to Jump Start a Car
Imagine you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on. It happens to every Bayonne and Newark driver at some point. What do you do? Luckily, our service professionals at Metro Honda are here to help! Follow our step-by-step instructions so you can be back on the road in no time.
Jump Start Your Car Step-by-Step
Before you can get started, check to make sure you have a few essential pieces of equipment:
- Jumper Cables
- Another Vehicle
Once you have those, simply follow the instructions below:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Prevent Your Car Battery from Dying
Now that you know how to jump-start your Honda vehicle, make sure your vehicle doesn’t die in the first place. However, in the event that you need an entirely new car battery, stop by our parts department so we can take car of it for you. Be sure to explore the parts and service specials at Metro Honda. Be sure to check out some of our other service tips like understanding your timing belt or the Honda battery warranty!
More From Metro Honda
Along with delivering Bayonne and Newark drivers plenty of advanced comfort, technology, and fuel efficiency, the 2020 Honda CR-V safety ratings from some of the automotive industry’s top safety organizations indicate this Honda SUV offers incredible peace of mind. The new 2020 CR-V was assessed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and National Highway…
If you’re in the Bayonne area and looking for a spacious and reliable model that can keep you moving, then the new 2020 Honda Odyssey interior is sure to offer everything you need and more. While this Honda minivan has been a staple for many families thanks to its incredible Honda Odyssey seating, there’s much…
Honda SUVs have already displayed how they can be fuel efficient and reliable on Bayonne and Newark roads and beyond. However, with the 2020 Honda Pilot towing capacity, you can add even more power to your commute. So, how much can the Honda Pilot tow? Metro Honda is here to break down this Honda SUV’s incredible…